Very soon I would have owned my home for a year (in 9 days to be precise!) and I would have been living alone (my home was renovated) for 6 months.
The last 6 months have been the most amazing and scary time of my life, I have learnt so much and am so proud of everything I have achieved single handily affording and running a home. However, I am also very happy to say that this time is soon coming to a close as I have my boyfriend (and two little kitties) moving in also. Yep, you heard it a fully fledged boy is going to live with me. I'm now officially a grown up doing grown up things, like sharing a Tesco clubcard.
I have taken some time to reflect on the last 6 months and come up with a list… 10 problems only people who live alone understand.
1. Nobody forces you to do your dishes and clean on the regular. And you leave it. I'm still trying to convince myself that Breaking Bad chic is okay for cleaning the bathroom! Hazmat suits are cute right?
2. You're responsible for all of your own gas and electric bills. And that shit adds up.
3. When a neighbour is being loud, you're the one who has to go deal with it. And do the passive-aggressive door knocking and/or note situation.
4. Half the groceries you buy go bad until you finally realize exactly what portions you need for the week. Fresh fruits or veggies? Forget it. Frozen is your new BFF.
5. Spiders. They are just so much bigger when you're alone.
6. OH MY GOD, IT'S 4 A.M. AND WHAT WAS THAT NOISE. Someone's trying to break in. Oh God. Can I use my table lamp as a weapon? Or worse, what if it's supernatural!
7. You regularly rip back the shower curtain because you are sure there's an intruder who is about to go Psycho on your ass. And then nobody is there, and you get the floor all wet.
8. Cooking for yourself is boring. But the Chinese around the corner recognising your phone number is much worse (ahem!)
9. The constant fear of dying and not being found for four days and alsatians would find you and eat you. Because I often see packs of alsatians wondering round looking for girls that live alone to eat.
10. Whose going to fake tan your back? Or zip up your dress? Or do your bracelet? Who godammit?!!